Getting your retirement visa and other visas

Thirty day visa on arrival

Most people can get a 30 day permission to stay stamp when they enter Thailand at any of the international airports in Thailand. You must be able to show means of being able to leave Thailand such as a confirmed onward or return air ticket. Simply telling them you could travel out of the country by bus or car won't work. This 30 days can be extended by leaving Thailand and then re-entering at one of the land borders or by air. On reentering at a land border crossing you will be given 30 days, and if you fly into the airport you will also get 30 days. It doesn't matter how long you are out of the country just that you entered another country and came back. Also you must have been stamped out of Thailand then Stamped in and out of the other country to be admitted back into Thailand, This is commonly called the Border Run, there is no longer a limit on how many border runs you can do, but it can be time consuming as well as costly.
fishing boats ban ampur thailand

Travelers from the following countries can obtain this 30 day permission to stay at the airport.

Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland, USA, and Vietnam.

I saw someone trying to be a bit sneaky by trying to re-enter Thailand with out actually being stamped in and out of the bordering country after leaving Thailand. This really annoyed the Thai immigration officer to the point that he threw the persons passport back at him

New Visa Rules for Thailand in affect Now, no more visa border runs.

As of May 10, 2014 border runs will not be allowed. This will affect the 30 and 15 day VOA* border runners. This will not affect the border runs to renew entries remaining on tourist visas. If you have a multi "O" or tourist visa you can still do border runs to renew those visas as before.  People are being denied entry into Thailand at land border crossings if it is obvious to the immigration officers that it is a visa run. Visa runs via air are still allowed until August 12th, currently immigration officers are giving stern warnings to visa runners entering by air. Retirement visas work visas and marriage visas won't be affected.

This is sad news for people that use this as a means to stay in Thailand for an extended time. I am sure there will be companies ready to deal with this problem for a fee of course. I also think Cambodia will be getting more ex-pats soon. I have a friend that relocated to Cambodia the last time the Thai immigration did this.

Some options are getting a Thai language visa, and for those 50 and over to get a retirement visa.

* VOA - Visa on arrival or permission to stay.

Sixty day tourist visa
visa banner

Sixty day tourist visa is good for one entry, on entering you will receive sixty days. At the end of that sixty days you can apply for a thirty day extension at any immigration post, this will give you another 30 days for a total of 90 days. After that you must either leave Thailand or do a border run as described above.

Non Immigrant type 'O' visa Single and multiple entry types

The non-immigrant type “O” visa is available as either a single entry, for a 90 day stay, or as a multiple entry, 12 month visa.
The single entry “O” visa allows you to spend up to 90 days within Thailand, And that can be extended for an additional 30 days for a fee of 1,900 Bahts at the immigration office, thereby giving you a total of 4 months. After that you could exit and re-enter Thailand for a 30 day stamp at a land crossing or 30 days at the airport. Or you could travel outside Thailand to obtain a tourist visa or nonimmigrant “O” visa.
The 12 month multiple entry type "O" visa allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand an unlimited number of times during that 12 month period. Every time you enter Thailand you will receive a stamp in your passport permitting you 90 days stay in Thailand. Also at your option this 90 day stamp can be extended for an additional 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1,900 Bahts.   After that you will have to leave Thailand and re-enter to receive another 90 day stamp in your passport. There are many companies that can assist you with transport and visa requirements to the nearest border crossing to get a new 90 day stamp in your passport. These border run services as they are called, cost as little as 1,800 Bahts up to around 2,500 Bahts for the VIP treatment.  Everything is included such as the visa fee for the neighboring country, and some include breakfast and lunch.

Retirement extension,,,, this is the one to get for extended stay
retirement visa from pattaya immigration

Retirement visa is basically an extension of the "O" visa, you are required to posses a valid "O" visa before you can apply for the retirement extension. to qualify you must be fifty years old or more. Have suitable income of 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for no less than 60 days the first time then for three months apon renewal or a combination of both. Some immigration offices can issue you an "O" visa and then give you a retirement extension all at the same time, if you qualify. After you receive your retirement visa you will be required to report your address every ninety days. Reporting your address is very easy and it only takes about five minutes at the immigration office. Below is a list of what you will need when applying for your retirement visa extension.

You will need the following when applying for your retirement visa.
      • A filled out TM.7 Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom
      • Passport
      • Two passport size photos (can be done next door to the immigration office)
      • Copies of passport and copies of bank book (can also be done next door to the immigration office)
      • A letter from a Thai bank stating you have a bank account with them.
      • Proof of income either one of the following
        • A bank balance of 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for at least three months, Or
        • A letter from your Embassy stating you have pension income of 65,000 baht or more a month
      • Fee to be paid at time of applying 1,900 Baht (non refundable)
A few notes about your ninety day address reporting
      • You can do your 90 day address report up to 14 days prior to the 90 day date or within 7 days after. Bear in mind they count the first day as one which means you really have 6 days after. Be careful of holidays if you are waiting until the last minute, it is no excuse.  The fine for being late is 2,000 Baht and if you are arrested the fine is 4,000 Baht plus all the misery of being in a Thai jail.
      • You should do the address report in person I usually go a few days before the 90 day date. You are allowed to have a representative do the address report for you. Also you have the option to do the address report by registered mail.
      • If you leave with a re-entry permit before the 90 days is up you do not have to worry about reporting. When you enter Thailand your 90 day reporting starts from the day you enter Thailand, provided you have a re-entry permit.
      • Renewing your retirement visa has nothing to do with the 90 day reporting, you are still required to do your 90 day report as scheduled.

Language Educational Visa

A fairly new visa type is the language educational visa. For this visa type you need to be enrolled in a Thai language class. Just walking around pattaya you will come across these schools everywhere, Most if not all of these schools will assist you with your visa paper work. This is a great way to extend your stay in the land of smiles while enhancing your understanding of the Thai language and the Thai people.

language school educational posters around Pattaya
American Embassy Bangkok out reach schedule
The American Embassy Bangkok periodically travels to various locations in Thailand such as Pattaya. You can order new, or replacement passports, or order additional pages inserted. They also provide notary services for income verification or any thing else you may need notarized. Please note they no longer add pages on site you either need to pickup in Bangkok or have them posted to you.
  • Friday, July 10, 2015, Pattaya
  • Friday, July 17, 2015, Khon Kaen
  • Friday, July 24, 2015, Phuket
  • Friday, October 9, 2015, Pattaya
  • Friday, October 16, 2015, Udorn
  • Friday, October 30, 2015, Phuket
Directions to the American Embassy in Bangkok

If you need to visit the American embassy, you will need to make an appointment online otherwise they may turn you away. Try to be on time, however they do understand delays in transit here in thailand so being a little early or late isn't going to get you turned away. I try to allow two and a half hours from Pattaya bus station to get there and this usually gets me real close to my appointment time. Here is a link.
American Embassy Appointments.

From Pattaya go to the Pattaya bus terminal located on Pattaya Klang and get a bus to the Eakami bus terminal in Bangkok the fare is just over 100B. When you get to Eakami bus station in Bangkok, walk out of the bus terminal there, you will be facing Sukhumvit Hwy, above that is the sky train from where you are the sky train depot is just to the right look for the escalators. Go up the escalators stay on the same side don’t cross over to the other side. Get a pass for Phloen Chit station from one of the coin operated dispensers, then proceed to the top level to board the train. When you get off the sky train at Phloen Chit go down to the ground level and walk about 50 meters further in the same direction and you will come to Wireless Road then turn left. The walk to the American Embassy takes about 15 minutes, you can’t miss it.   

Coming back is about the same only in reverse but you go to the other side of the sky train terminal. At Eakami bus terminal I get my bus ticket at the window in the front right as you walk in to the large open room.


I like to go to the big IT center called Pantip just to look around and maybe buy something, allot cheaper than Tucom. But with the civil unrest going on I would give that a pass for now.     

   Visa Run Services

Visa run services are everywhere in Pattaya. The one below is just a random photo I took one evening just as a guide to go by. If you shop around you may find better prices.

visa run sigh located on soi bua khao in pattaya beach thailand

Photos Sept. 25, 2013

Location of the Pattaya Branch Immigration office.

Pattaya immigration is located in Jomtiem Soi 5. Get on the road going south that leads to Jomtiem from Pattaya named Thap Phraya. Keep going straight until you get to Chom Thian Soi 5 (the new name) then turn right towards the ocean then it is only 110 meters on the left, and yes I measured it. If you have Google earth you can copy and paste these coordinates in to the search and Google earth will fly you there. 12.897731,100.871513 You can also click here Pattaya Immigration then look for the building below.

If you are already on Jomtiem Beach road then Soi 5 is just about 350 meters south of the very north end of Jomtiem Beach road. From Jomtiem Beach road the Pattaya Immigration office is only 300 meters on the right...

Pattaya Immigration in Jomtiem located on soi 5 in Jomtiem beachPattaya immigration front street sign

Picture below is what you should see if you are looking at it on Google Earth.

If you have comments or questions please feel free and ask me here. If you would like to contribute please let me know.   Koh Larn A great day out for little money
Oh! and one other thing, thanks for visiting my website.
©2009-2014 Pattaya Retired dot Com::::::::This page last updated:::::::November 30, 2014:::::: Use at your own risk! :-)